Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a severe anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to any event that results in psychological trauma. This event may involve the threat of death to oneself or to someone else, or to one's own or someone else's physical, sexual, or psychological integrity, overwhelming the individual's ability to cope. Diagnostic symptoms for PTSD include re-experiencing the original trauma(s) through flashbacks or nightmares, avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma, and increased arousal—such as difficulty falling or staying asleep, anger, and hyper-vigilance. (wikipedia 2012)
How Reflexology Can Help
Reflexology is great for people who suffer from PTSD because of its ability to take care of the body and the soul - those two important parts injured by the trauma. The Reflexologist can ease the pain with a gentle touch and can release the nervous system from that stress. The beneficial effects of reflexology on mental health are clinically documented. Reflexology improves the client’s sense of well-being, improves sleep, reduces anxiety, and often reduces the need for pain medications, especially following surgery or cancer treatments.
Other Advantages of Reflexology
• A person remains clothed. This can be highly significant for a client who was brutalized, raped, tortured, or otherwise feels vulnerable.
• Reflexology takes place at the feet - far from the head, viscera, and sexual organs. Feet are generally perceived as a nonthreatening place to begin bodywork. Clients can talk with the reflexologist face-to-face and see what is going on, allowing them to feel safe and comfortable as the session progresses.
• Reflexive actions occur instantly to relieve tension and stress, promoting deep, restorative relaxation and sleep.
• A reflexive area in the feet exists for every organ, gland, and part of the body.
• Foot reflexology improves the function of all body systems: immediately noticeable are improvements in the flow of bioelectrical energy, blood, lymph, and nerve impulses.
• Reflexology protocols address health challenges particular to the client, such as depression, diabetes, headaches, menstrual issues, respiratory conditions, and more.
• Reflexology also works energetically by balancing the body’s energy systems. It works in harmony with a broad spectrum of energy therapies, such as polarity therapy and Asian medicine.